Whenever I make cookies Eric complains unless they are classic chocolate chip. Earlier this week, I decided to make grapefruit sugar cookies. As expected, Eric complained about my choice of baking. After a few bites my husband ate his words. These cookies turned out to be so delicious that he loved them.
I am telling you, this little recipe may be one of my favourite cookie recipes of all time. I nearly had to whip up an extra batch because we ate them so fast, I barely had a chance to photograph the final product. Word of warning… these little cookies taste so delicious because they are filled with a crazy amount of butter. So much butter, that they should probably be called butter cookies.
Do you have any plans for the weekend? I started started a new crochet project and a new t.v. show last night! I intend to spend much of the weekend watching Sherlock and crocheting my newest project. I started working on another baby blanket. I figured I should probably start making a blanket for my baby.
I am also hoping to spend sometime working on my calligraphy skills! I am a total beginner, and here is a little taste of my progress to-date.
Looks more impressive than it actually is! I am currently working on tracing a set of letters. Getting my hand used to the motion and the consistency of the ink. In a lot of ways calligraphy is more like painting than writing.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package of light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- fresh grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in vanilla, egg, and grapefruit zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to mixer and combine. Add milk and grapefruit juice, and stir until completely incorporated.
- Roll dough into Tablespoon-sized balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are just beginning to turn golden on the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and well mixed. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar and salt. Stir. Mix in fresh grapefruit juice one tablespoon at a time until the icing reaches a spreadable consistency. I used 2 tablespoons of juice.
- Spread cream cheese icing over the cookies once they have cooled completely and enjoy!
Latest Post Update: Sunday, March 7, 2021